Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Play

There is no question that creating art can be wonderful therapy, an incredible tool for soul-searching, and a very deep, meaningful experience. But I have come to the conclusion that when all the searching and depth and gravity becomes the overwhelming focus of your artwork, it is time to switch gears a bit. I have been SOOOO focused on creating deeply personal, expressive, meaningful, soulful art and journal pages, that all that gravity and seriousness has worn me out! So, I decided I needed to get a bit more playful for a while and lighten things up.

Here I wanted to try a lighter, airier color palette, with less STUFF everywhere like I tend to do. It was inspired by a Dr. Seuss quote.

I had so much fun with this piece that I decided to do a full-on Seuss-inspired painting. This idea is actually suggested in one of my favorite art technique books, Drawing Lab for Mixed Media Artists by Carla Sonheim.

I looked through a bunch of Dr. Seuss books that I had laying around the house to
get a better feel for the colorful, whimsical style of the fantasy worlds in his artwork, and painted
a piece to go with a favorite quote of mine from Oh the Places You'll Go. I had a
GREAT time with this painting, and am now thinking of doing a whole Seuss series for our
playroom!

2 comments:

  1. I love it! It is beautiful yet so much fun and so playful. If you do there series be sure to post the results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've tried to comment on this before, but Blogger was giving me a headache. Let's see if this comes through:
    These are very fun, and I especially like the painting. It's like candy, and I want more, more! Cheers, Erin

    ReplyDelete