Friday, July 1, 2011

Show Up

This past week, I was lucky to spend time in beautiful Ogunquit, Maine, enjoying my family and a lovely town full of artists and stunning views. I thought for sure I'd be wrapped up in a soft blanket of inspiration and create some uplifting landscape paintings, or some nature-based mixed media collages, or some other thoroughly delightful thematic work. Well, I got there, and no such luck. I loved taking my walks, taking in the views, people-watching, spending time with family, and being awe-struck by all the natural beauty - but I didn't want to paint any of it. I didn't want to write poetry about it, or collage about it. I did take a couple of wonderful photography walks though, which I always love - they help me see and appreciate what's around me in a whole new way. Here is what I captured. There are the beautiful sunsets....

The gorgeous purple flowers lining the streets.....
The footbridge along the Marginal Way, because bridges are a "thing" with me, a personal symbol..

And then I departed from the classic views. My reflection in a bakery window. Not your typical fine-art shot from a gorgeous place, right? Well I really wanted those pastries. I can't really eat them, for reasons too numerous to mention...but I really wanted them. So this image is telling of how I felt at this moment :-)


So, after my little photo safari, I thought for sure the key to artistic brilliance must have been unlocked. But still - no big ideas, no overwhelming desire to paint the textures of the rocks and ocean, not even a truly deep thought to be had. And I had so many expectations, creatively, for this trip! I mean, it's SCENIC! Peaceful! Artsy! I should have been overcome with the MUSE!

It didn't happen. BUT - I had fun. And I felt HAPPY. So, while I didn't have any creative breakthroughs, I did pull out my markers and paper and SHOWED UP. I just made some STUFF. I had a favorite Shel Silverstein poem that was stuck in my head, so I did this....

And then I gave some thought to the very concept of vacation. I KNOW we're all supposed to be happy on vacation - but why, exactly? Is it the change of scenery? The removal from daily responsibility? The permission we give ourselves to indulge a bit? And why do those things have to be limited to just big trips? I think vacations are not so much TAKEN as they are MADE....so I made this little reminder to make a little vacation for myself every day, in some small way.

3 comments:

  1. It seems to me that I often fail to find inspiration when I expect it and it slaps me upside the head when I least expect it. I really like the bridge photo.

    You posted a question on my blog about Tam's Faces course and yes, it did help me immensly I really learned a lot. Particularly how much I like drawing faces in graphite without any color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes filling the well is just what we need--soaking it in without necessarily pumping it back out...

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...well at least not right away! I think it often comes out later, and sometimes in very nonlinear ways...

    ReplyDelete